Dr. Barry Silberg, M.D., F.A.C.S. provides a full range of cosmetic procedures including laser treatments Santa Rosa CA. Dr. Silberg is a Board-Certified Plastic Surgeon with over 30 years of experience in cosmetic and reconstructive surgery. Dr. Silberg’s state-of-the-art VariLite Laser treatment is a fast, comfortable and effective treatment for vascular, pigmented and cutaneous lesions. A vascular lesion is formed by abnormally large or numerous blood vessels located directly under the surface of the skin. These vessels may be visible through the skin and may result in a red appearance of the skin. Pigmented lesions occur when an abundance of melanocytes are found in the skin. Melanin is the dark pigment present in skin and is produced by melanocytes. Lesions may be flat or slightly raised. Cutaneous lesions are areas of skin that have a different texture, thickness, or color than the skin around them.
What are the Benefits of Laser Treatment?
The benefits of laser treatment over alternative therapies may include improved therapeutic results through precisely controlled modalities that limit injury to normal skin, lead to fewer complications, and is a safe and effective outpatient, same-day treatment for vascular and pigmented lesions.
How does the laser work?
A laser generates an intense beam of light that can selectively target a treatment site. The laser light is absorbed by oxyhemoglobin (bright red blood cells carrying oxygen) and melanin (black or brown pigment found in the skin) causing decomposition or destruction by heat of unwanted cells while leaving healthy cells intact.
What conditions are treated with the laser?
- Facial Telangiectasia – surface veins caused by dilation of capillary vessels or arterioles
- Cherry Angiomas – slightly raised, red lesions
- Spider Angiomas – slightly raised, red spider-like lesions
- Scar Neovascularization – redness that may appear in or around a scar
- Rosacea – red facial lesions around the nose and cheeks causing a sunburned look
- Spider Veins – small, superficial purpose or red veins stretching like a web under the skin, often appearing on legs
- Lentigines – flat, brown spots on the skin: present on skin with frequent sun exposure
- Freckles – brown spots on the skin; common on people with fair skin
- Dermatosis Papulosis Nigra – small black raised lesions seen primarily on people of Asian or African descent
- Keratoses – slightly elevated pigmented lesions often found on the back and hands
- Warts – skin-colored growths caused by a viral infection in the top layer of the skin
What should a patient expect during treatment?
Treatment may vary depending upon patient characteristics and the area being treated. An individual treatment program will be developed for each patient. Typically, treatment sessions take 10 – 15 minutes. Patients should remove makeup in the treatment area and should avoid tanning prior to scheduling a treatment. Patients will be placed in a reclined position and asked to wear special goggles to protect the eyes from the intense beam of the laser light. Dr. Silberg will use a pen-like hand piece to direct a beam of laser light to the lesion.
What should a patient expect after treatment?
Some redness may occur in the treatment area immediately following the procedure, however, it should subside within several hours. Some swelling may also occur and will go away within 1 to 2 days. Unlike older technologies, the VariLite treatment will NOT cause any purple skin discoloration or bruised appearance. Postoperative care is minimal. Dr. Silberg may ask you to use anti-bacterial ointment on the treated area for a short period of time. The patient should stay out of the sun during the healing process. Final treatment results should be evident 10-14 days after treatment for vascular lesions and within 2-3 weeks after treatment for pigmented lesions. In the meantime, normal activities can be resumed with only a slight redness evident at the treatment area.
How will I know if laser treatment is right to me?
Call our office today at (707) 528-0911 for further information or fill out our online form to schedule a free complimentary consultation to find out how Dr. Silberg’s state-of-the-art VariLite Laser treatment can benefit you.