Breast augmentation, or augmentation mammaplasty, is designed to enhance breast shape and size, or correct a loss of volume after pregnancy and breast feeding. The procedure can also correct breast asymmetry when your breasts are disproportionate in size or shape. It is important that the procedure be considered to please you and not to satisfy the request of someone else.
Before undergoing breast augmentation surgery with Barry N. Silberg, MD, FACS, in Santa Rosa CA, he will take the time to understand your unique goals and review the available options so that you can experience optimal results. If you would like to learn more about breast augmentation and whether it is the right procedure for you, schedule a free consultation with Dr. Silberg today!
Breast augmentation is a way to increase the fullness of your breasts and it can offer you a more well-proportioned and attractive figure. It cannot correct severely sagging breasts. If you want to have fuller breasts and have them lifted, a breast lift or mastopexy may be required in combination with breast augmentation, sometimes referred to as a Mommy Makeover. These procedures are commonly done at the same time.
Candidates for Breast Augmentation
You may be a good candidate for breast augmentation if:
- you are unhappy with the size of your breasts
- you are unhappy with the shape or symmetry of your breasts
- would like to achieve a more shapely and proportionate body image
- are doing the procedure to please yourself, and not solely to please someone else
As with any surgical procedure, it’s a big plus for candidates who are non-smokers and who maintain good habits for nutrition and fitness.
Procedure for Breast Augmentation
The procedure is done using conscious sedation and will take approximately an hour and a half. You will be able to go home an hour or two after the procedure.
Incisions are made in areas to minimize visible scarring. They will be made based on the type of breast implant, degree of enlargement desired, your particular body type. They might be made at the base of the areola (periareolar) or at the base of the breast where it meets the chest (infamammary). Dr. Silberg will discuss which incision options are appropriate for your desired outcome. These incision lines will fade over time.
After the incision is made, a breast implant is inserted into a pocket either under the pectoral muscle (a submuscular placement), or directly behind the breast tissue, over the pectoral muscle (a submammary/ subglandular placement). The insertion and position of the implant will depend on the type of implant, degree of enlargement desired, and your body type.
Incisions are closed with layered sutures in the breast tissue and with sutures, skin adhesive or surgical tape to close the skin.
You must have a ride home after your surgery and you should plan on having someone stay with you through the first day.
Recovery from Breast Augmentation
After the surgery, you will be taken into a recovery and closely monitored.Your breasts will be wrapped in gauze dressings and an elastic bandage or support bra to support the breasts and minimize swelling as they heal. You may need to wear a support bra 24/7 for a week or two following the procedure.
Before leaving, you will be given specific instructions for aftercare and follow-up. After you have gone home, Dr. Silberg will be available 24/7 to respond to any concerns should they arise.
You may experience some tenderness and swelling for a few weeks. You should plan for restricted activity for three weeks post-surgery.
Types of Breast Implants
Dr. Silberg offers three types of breast implants:
- Structured breast implants: The IDEAL IMPLANT® structured breast implant offers the newest technology having an internal structure with nested shells. These breast implants combine the best features of gel and saline. They have a natural feel and offer some advantages over silicone gel, i.e., no silent rupture, no MRIs, only saline for peace of mind, lower capsule contracture rate, lower rupture rate. Read more about IDEAL IMPLANT® offered by Dr. Silberg at his Santa Rosa California surgical facility.
- Saline breast implants: Saline implants are FDA-approved for augmentation for women age 18 years and older. These implants are filled with sterile salt water and if there is a leak, the implant will collapse and the saline will be absorbed and naturally expelled by the body. Saline implants provide a uniform shape, firmness and feel.
- Silicone breast implants: Silicone breast implants are FDA-approved for augmentation in women age 22 or older. Silicone breast implants are filled with silicone gel. These implants feel a bit more like natural breast tissue. If the implant leaks, the gel may remain within the implant shell, or may escape into the breast implant pocket, but it will not collapse. An MRI may be required to determine the condition of the implant.
Learn More about Breast Augmentation
Schedule your complimentary breast augmentation consultation with Dr. Silberg at his Santa Rosa CA office by calling our office at (707) 528-0911 or submit our confidential online form today! Everyone around the area is welcome in our office, so whether you are in Cotati or even Sebastopol, don’t hesitate to call us.